Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Rough Draft College Essay

John Nguyen
Mr. Gallagher
English 12 CP Period 7
10/30/08

Title

During freshmen year, high school was a new environment. I set a goal to achieve for high honor roll. Becoming comfortable with seeing studious students around me motivated me to exceed in classes, I strived to learn and focus for MCAS my sophomore year because of school. Outside of school, however my father hosted parties which involved drinking and smoking along with his other friends. But I knew that I didn’t want to become just like my father. My father being an alcoholic affected my family emotionally because it became a depressing, frustrating, and angry moment from all the arguing.

One Saturday night at one in the morning in my room during sophomore year, I hear a devastating fall in the living room. I go downstairs to find out what happened and I see my father on the floor. At this point I was frightened and I tried to wake up my mother and call for emergency. My father was then taken to the hospital which affected my family even greater. I visit the hospital a week later and doctors told me that my father had a stroke. It was a rehabilitation hospital which gave me a dramatic feeling. Most of my whole family had already visit my father and heard of the news. My family ended up arguing mostly every week and over time, I started to understand more of my family and morals. This experience I will never forget because of my father being an alcoholic.

At this point, I’ve become emotionally stressed due to family purposes. I had fewer privileges, but still strived to do well in school. Time was an issue for me because I was not able to stay after because of my father. After school here and there I visit my dad at the rehabilitation hospital with my aunt. During visits and going home late at night I strived to finish all my homework. Finding time was difficult for me in order to receive help from teachers when I need it. After a month or so I became more organized in managing my time and becoming less stressed.

I have become more independent and indirectly influenced through my high school years. I built character throughout high school. I learned to become more discipline and have respect for others wherever I go.

No comments: