Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Banksy 1000 words
Banksy is an anonymous British graffiti artist whose birth name is unknown. Banksy is famous for his trademark stencil-style “Guerilla” art in public spaces. There are all sorts of myth about him. People have a jealous factor of him because only his trusted friend knows him by his real name. People believe his name is “Robin Banks.” There is also another article about Banksy on a person whose name is “Robin Gunningham” which also seems to be his other identity. The first painting I notice was his graffiti art on a billboard. “There’s no such thing as good publicity.” This painting seems to have an original advertisement from FOX that premier on a day with a month and date. This painting is located at W Houston Street & MacDougal Street in New York, New York. Doing some research, I found out that the original ad is a “Pushing Daisy” ad for FOX. This painting is interesting to me because it portrays a message out to the public. Banksy’s graffiti art consists of four colors. From my guess of colors I think the colors are dodger blue, white, Indian red, and ivory black. The dodger blue gives the painting a calm feel, but it was originally part of the “Pushing Daisy” ad for FOX. The white represents neutrality. The ivory black color is a typical color for a rat. It seems to be like the rat is painting over the ad with the white paint on a paint roller. The Indian red portrays and represents the message of “There’s no such thing as good publicity.” It seems to me that Banksy chose this color fiercely because it’s a dark taste of red which can symbolize blood, love, hate, anger, and lust. The red on the painting sticks out the most because it gives the message of the graffiti art. Banksy seems brilliant because the way he chooses the style on paintings and where he chooses to draw the paintings is very clever. The color and the texture seems simple as it is, but picking the right colors for a painting helps portray the message. The message seems like it was written in blood or some sort. I think that where he decides to place this picture is a good idea because on the picture itself, it shows people walking by it staring into the painting. This shows that the outcome of the painting attracts people which portray the message of “There’s no such thing as good publicity.” The meaning of publicity is extensive mention in the news media or by word of mouth or other means of communication. Finding this out surprises me because the graffiti art gives the painting a message. Saying “There’s no such thing as good publicity.” After finding out the meaning, Banksy is saying that there is no good way or form or idea to say that there is a meaning to any news media by means of communication. I find this funny because Banksy is trying to give out a message, but then the message itself is telling the public that messages are no good in a sense of his painting. I think that the ivory black rat in the billboard represents Banksy because the rat itself is painting over the billboard. I also think that Banksy is saying that publicity is stupid because of his message on the billboard. This is funny because Banksy is giving a message and at the same time, people are reading it figuring out the message, and then Banksy’s just saying that there’s no such thing as a good message. I also notice that the white is bleeding off the billboard onto the cement wall. I think that it shows that the white color is very heavy because it’s overly used in the painting trying to cover the billboard which makes it drip in a sense. Another painting by Banksy is the sniper graffiti art. The painting is located in Banksy’s hometown Bristol, United Kingdom. There seems to be a few colors on this sniper painting. Black, grey, white, and what seems to me a paper bag brown. There’s a sniper watching something and there’s a kid behind him trying to learn how to use the gun. I find this funny because snipers are trained to carry their sniper on the left shoulder because most snipers are forced to be right handed. In this picture, the sniper is holding the gun with his right shoulder using his left arm to shoot. This is incorrect because the recoil and stability of the shot won’t be as accurate. This painting has been criticized for its “off target.” The sniper on the painting is holding the gun completely wrong. Banksy is obviously trying to portray a message in this painting. This painting is said to be aimed near a hospital. I guess Banksy is trying to say that death is coming because guns usually mean violence. I also notice that it says SWAT on the sniper’s cap. Banksy probably uses black on this painting to symbolize death. Grey is also used which I think represents a depressed cloudy day. I feel that grey is put in the painting to show that it’s an unhappy type of mood color. I also think that this grey represents the mood of the hospital because being in a hospital surrounding is dramatic and dull. I think that the kid behind the sniper represents the idea of corruption because nowadays there is much gun violence that comes to play in the world. Banksy seems like his drawings are to open up people ways of seeing things to another level. I’m not sure what’s in the paper bag, but it has me thinking. I guess its some kind of throw up bag for the kid. I think that Banksy mainly uses black and grey to give a feel towards the graffiti art. I feel that the black and grey represents a typical gloomy day of rain with a storm of clouds all over the place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment